Work Visa

Every year over 90,000 foreign workers enter Canada working temporarily to help Canadian employers address skill shortages in Canada. Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and Human Resources Development Canada (HRDC) ensure that these workers will support economic growth in Canada and create more opportunities for all Canadian job seekers.
In almost all cases you must have a valid work visa to work in Canada.
These steps must be followed before you apply for a work permit:
  1. An employer must first offer you a job.
  2. HRDC must normally provide a labor market opinion or ‘confirmation’ of your job offer. However, some types of work are exempt from this process.
  3. After HRDC confirms that a foreign national may fill the job, you apply to CIC for your work permit.

If you want to come and live in Canada as a permanent resident based on your work skills or experience, see if you qualify for the Skilled Worker Program.

Foreign workers may do some jobs in Canada without a permit.
Check to see if you can work in Canada without a permit.
The Worker’s Role: Temporary workers must also meet the requirements that apply to all temporary residents in order to come to Canada. Find out what you must do before working in Canada.
The Employer’s Role: Before a foreign national may work in Canada, you, as an employer, must check with HRDC to confirm the job offer you have made to the foreign worker. Find out what you must do before you can hire a foreign national.
What HRDC will do: HRDC’s role is to provide advice to CIC regarding the impact on the Canadian labor market that the entry of a foreign worker will have.

The Live-in Caregiver Program

A live-in caregiver is someone who provides care to children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household. After working two years as a live-in caregiver you can apply to be a permanent resident in Canada. Learn how you can apply for the Live-In Caregiver Program.
For more information please visit

Request Info