Student Visa

More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. This does not include people studying French or English as a second language. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.
The provinces regulate schools in Canada. The provinces are also in charge of health care and medical services. Contact the school where you want to study for more information on living and studying in Canada.

You do not need a study permit if you are planning to study in a short-term program in Canada less than six months.

Students are encouraged to apply for a study permit (Student Visa) before you come to Canada if you are planning to continue on your studies in another program after the short program. This will allow you to apply for your new program from within Canada. Otherwise, you will have to apply to a Canadian visa office abroad.

Most foreign students will need a permit to study in Canada. If you wish to study in Quebec you will also need to apply to Quebec.

Before you come to study in Canada you will need:
  • A letter of acceptance from the school of your choice;
  • Proof that you have enough money to pay school fees and live near the school;
  • To establish that you will return home at the end of your studies;
  • To pass a medical exam if needed; and
  • To qualify as a temporary resident in Canada, including a temporary resident visa if needed.
Please visit to have more information about the topics below:

Studying In Canada: A Guide For Foreign Students:

You should plan ahead before applying to study in Canada. Find out what you need to do before applying.

Applying To Change Conditions Or Renew Your Permit In Canada:

Once in Canada as a student, you may be able to change the conditions of your permit or apply to renew it.

Canada Welcomes Foreign Students: A Fact Sheet:

Find out more about Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s (CIC) role in helping students come to Canada.

Registered Private Career Colleges:

Find Out all listed Private Career Colleges registered in Ontario, Canada.

Statistics On Students Applying To Come To Canada:

CIC keeps statistics on applications to study in Canada.

Request Info